If you are planning your big day then we would love to talk to you!
You can get married in the Church of the Good Shepherd providing that you either live in the parish; or are on the electoral roll; or have a personal connection with the church, e.g. your parents were married here. If you are unsure please 'phone us on 01737 813152 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is a step by step guide to the practicalities of getting married in church:
- Decide upon your date and time
- N.B. you may need to check out the reception venue first as they usually get booked up more quickly than the church!
- 'Phone us to check that the church is available and make an appointment to complete the initial booking form.
- Arrange to have your Banns of marriage called.
- These have to be read within a three month period before the date of the wedding; if you are on the electoral roll of the Good Shepherd but live in another parish you will have to make arrangements to have your banns read in your parish church. Use "A Church Near You" and enter your postcode to find the 'phone number of your local parish church to arrange this. Your banns will be read in the Church of the Good Shepherd at the beginning of the 10 am service for three consecutive weeks.
- Meet with the priest conducting the wedding
- Approximately two months before your wedding day the priest conducting your wedding, will write to you to arrange to see you about details of the service - readings, flowers, music etc.
- Come down to the church to discuss any music with Tim Carey, the organist. If you are having orders of service printed you will need to send a proof copy to the person conducting the service before they are sent to the printer.
- The week before the wedding you will need to come to a wedding rehearsal in church so that you know what is going to happen on your big day.
How much will it cost?
The fee will vary dependant on what you would like, additional costs for choir, organist etc can all be discussed, along with the wedding fee with Timothy.
Other ways we can help
Getting married can be an expensive experience; however we have contacts with caterers, florists, and taxi firms who can often offer something at a reasonable cost. Our church hall is a cheaper option for a wedding reception and can look absolutely beautiful as the picture below will show. We can also advise or assist with producing orders of service at a fraction of the cost of using a printing firm.